It’s summertime and you know what that means – fresh peaches! This vegan peach cobbler is the perfect peach recipe ideas to complement those tasty summer dinner ideas.
Similar to a vegan peach crisp, this vegan peach cobbler – complete with a crumble topping – is super simple to make and is ready to serve and enjoy in as little as thirty minutes.
If you’re up to it, you can even enjoy this as a tasty treat for breakfast. It’s so delicious, you’ll want to devour this peach cobbler until the very last bite. Be sure to add this to your list of favorite vegan peach recipes.
What’s the difference between a peach pie and peach cobbler?
This question comes up a lot when discussing cobblers.
Simply put, a peach cobbler is more of a freeform desert with a fruit base and more of a biscuit-like topping.
Whereas, a peach pie, is more put together with a pie crust base and a pie crust topping. A pie requires more prep time, as you have to knead the pie dough for both the bottom of the pie – and the top.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a great pie! But if you’re looking for something sweet, delicious and simple, a peach ‘cobbler’ is the way to go.
What makes this peach cobbler vegan?
Simply put, there’s no added dairy products such as eggs and dairy milk. You can also make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
The oil and the nut milk work together to combine the flour and make the perfectly appetizing and flavorful dough topping.
What you’ll need:
As I stated above, this peach cobbler doesn’t require much thought beforehand and can be made mostly with ingredients you already have. You’ll need the following:
Sugar, I use raw sugar
Salt, I use pink Himalayan salt
Nut milk of choice, I use almond milk
Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
I also added a crumble topping, per my family’s request and it came out amazing!
Can I use canned peaches?
Yes, you can use canned or frozen peaches if you’d like. Just make sure your canned peaches are drained from all of its juices.
You can use equal parts canned and/or thawed peaches, to equal parts fresh peaches. One pound of frozen or canned peaches is about three medium peaches.
Now, you’re ready to get started. With less than two handfuls of ingredients and no prep time for the dough – you’ll be enjoying this deliciously sweet summer treat within no time. The crumble topping is optional, but was highly requested!
6 freshly peeled and sliced peaches
1 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons flour, divided
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, I use Pink Himalayan
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup almond milk, or any vegan milk you prefer
For the crumble topping (completely optional):
12 tablespoons vegan butter
2/3 cup sugar (brown, white or combination)
1 1/12 cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the peaches, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour in the bottom of a lightly greased pan (9×13″), or12″ cast iron skillet.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add in oil and milk. Then which to combine. The dough will be lumpy. Do not overmix.
5. Spread mixture over peaches.
6. If you’re wanting to add crumble topping – dice cold butter, add all of the ingredients into another bowl and using a pastry cutter, potato masher, or your hands – mix butter, sugar, flour together until crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbles on top of the dough.
7. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until golden and crisp. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing. You can even complement the slices with ice cream. Enjoy!