The holidays are near, and this vegan sweet potato pie recipe is super easy to whip together. If you’re looking for a homemade, dairy-free option for your upcoming festivities, then this is it. This sweet potato pie is creamy, sweet and tastes just like the “real” thing your grandmother made growing up.
It’s even better than store-bought sweet potato pies you find in the supermarket that are filled with dairy products.
There are several variations of vegan sweet potato pie recipes and this one is so simple, you’ll want to save it for later celebrations to come! Most sweet potato recipes call for eggs and cream, but with a few non-dairy substitutes, you can have pie on the table without missing a beat.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Pie crust – You can find store bought crust at your local grocers, just be sure to check the ingredients before purchasing to make sure it’s actually vegan. For the best results, use this easy vegan pie crust recipe.
Sweet potatoes – Fresh, quality sweet potatoes work best for this recipe.
Full fat coconut milk – You can find full fat coconut milk in a CAN in the Asian-inspired aisle at your local grocer. This is not to get confused with the boxed coconut milk.
Brown sugar – You cannot forget this one! This is the secret to a decadent pie filling.
Cornstarch – this is to keep the filling together
How To Make A Homemade Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
To get this to be the best sweet potato pie ever, you need to make sure you gather ALL of the ingredients listed above.
Be sure that you’re buying full fat coconut milk in the can and you’re using brown sugar. I always seem to have light brown sugar on hand, but either dark or light, will do.
If you want a less sweetened pie, cut the sugar needed in half. You can also use Truvia as a sugar substitute that’s just as sweet, but contains ZERO sugar.
Feel free to top with vegan whipped cream and/or pecans. This recipe is totally customizable.
Read the instructions below to make the best homemade vegan sweet potato pie ever!
Homemade Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 Vegan Pie Crust
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, in a can
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- Prepare the vegan pie crust, or store-bough crust. Line a pie pan with uncooked crust and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes, then place them in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and them to a large bowl, stand mixer, or food processor.
- With a food processor, or stand mixer, blend the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add all of the remaining ingredients and blend on high until everything is combined.
- Spread the sweet potato filling into the pie crust evenly and bake for 55-60 minutes, until the center is slightly jiggly. If the crust begins to burn or brown, use a pie shield or aluminum foil to cover the edges.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least 30 minutes to an hour before slicing and serving. Top with vegan whipped cream to your liking.
- Store leftover pie in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- For a less sweet pie, cut the sugar in half. Or opt for a substitute like Truvia that contains no sugar at all, but gives you the sweetness like regular sugar.
- There are several brands that carry vegan whipped cream, I like to use SoDelicious CocoWhip.
- This pie can be made ahead of time. Simply thaw to room temperature before serving.